Portable GIS Version 2 is released
Not only that, but having a fully self-contained GIS system may prove useful in a number of real-life situations.
The newly updated version 2 contains a self-contained installer, updated versions of all the constituent software packages, a new control panel, and improved documentation.
The current set of software includes:
- Desktop GIS packages QGIS (with GRASS plugin), uDIG and gvSIG,
- FWTools (GDAL and OGR toolkit)
- XAMPPlite (Apache2/MySQL5/Php5),
- PostgreSQL (version 8.4)/Postgis (version 1.4),
- Mapserver, OpenLayers, Tilecache, Featureserver, and Geoserver web applications.
The packages and menu system are all open source, but each component has a separate license. Some of the components have been altered in order to make them drive-letter independent.