Retiring Old MapQuest OpenAPI Product at the beginning of 2009
Having launched the more feature rich MapQuest Platform “Free Edition product”, MapQuest will be retiring the current MapQuest OpenAPI product on Saturday, January 31st, 2009.
Since the MapQuest OpenAPI does not use the same backend as our newer APIs, nor does it provide the breadth in functionality, MapQuest wants to provide a better free experience being competitive to other APIs.
It will be necessary to migrate to one of 6 APIs available in the MapQuest Platform: Free Edition product prior to January 31, 2009.
The MapQuest Platform: Free Edition product offers more flexibility and ease of development along with providing developer choice with six APIs:
SERVER SIDE APIs
CLIENT SIDE APIs
- AS3 (ActionScript 3: Flash, Flex, AIR)
The MapQuest Platform: Free Edition product includes many additional features including:
- COLLECTIONS: Support for multiple and remote collections (KML and GeoRSS); allowing easier handling of shape collections.
- ADVANCED SHAPE OVERLAYS: Build applications that allow users to create and interact with a variety of overlays on maps,
including custom lines, polygons, rectangles, and ellipses.
- CUSTOM TILE LAYER SUPPORT.
- Add REAL-TIME TRAFFIC to your map.
- GLOBE VIEW: http://globe.mapquest.com.
- AERIAL IMAGERY and HYBRID VIEWS.
- SMART ROLLOVERS: Rollover windows that adapt their size and positioning based on the content placed in the window.
- ADVANCED MAP MARKERS: With the MapQuest “declutter mode,” automatically move collided markers to positions on the map
with a leader link pointing to their original location.
You can find documentation and downloads for the MapQuest Platform: Free Edition product on our Developer Network: http://developer.mapquest.com. Additional information can be found on: http://platform.mapquest.com and http://devblog.mapquest.com.