GeoServer 2.9.0 is the new stable release suitable for use in production. This release requires Java 8.
admin application layer, preview, global settings, image processing and raster access screens have been updated.
- User guide has been restructured for ease of navigation and to reduce duplication.
- The REST API can now be used to manage icons, fonts and configuration files and report on the status of installed components.
- Internally this release features Wicket 7 and Spring 4 and the latest JAI-Ext library.
- Layer bounds can now be generated from spatial reference systems extent
- Styles can now be configured with a custom legend
For more details please see the blog post http://blog.geoserver.org/2016/05/30/geoserver-2-9-0-released/ and release notes (https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10000&version=13003.